Unlike men’s hair loss—which can usually be traced to male pattern baldness—female hair loss has a wide range of potential causes. To understand the causes of female hair loss, however, it’s first helpful to understand how the healthy hair growth cycle works.
Your follicles are constantly cycling between a growth phase and a rest phase. In the growth phase, new hairs are produced; in the rest phase, your follicles actually shed hairs to make room for future growth. At any given moment, about 10 percent of your follicles are in the rest phase, which means you shed a few hairs each day. This is perfectly normal.
The problem comes either when that rest phase is prolonged, or the growth phase is cut short. There are a number of conditions that can make one or both of those things happen:
- Androgenetic alopecia. Also called female pattern baldness, this condition isn’t quite as common as its male counterpart—but it can definitely happen, and when it does, women will notice their hair thinning over time. Generally thought to be a hereditary condition, female pattern hair loss is rooted in a hormonal imbalance.
- Medical causes. There are also a number of medical treatments that can lead to hair loss, either temporarily or permanently. These medical causes include radiation, chemotherapy, and even certain prescription drugs.
- Thyroid disorders. Because hair growth is regulated by the hormones, any irregularity with your thyroid can lead to hair loss.
- Traction alopecia. Believe it or not, certain hair styles can damage the hair, literally pulling it from the follicles and sometimes leading to lasting scars. Tight ponytails, braids, and buns can all be culprits here
- Trichotillomania. A rare nervous condition, this disease is characterized by the compulsive twisting, pulling, and chewing of the hair.
These are just a few examples of the factors that lead to women’s hair loss—but the good news is, you never have to settle for hair loss, no matter its cause and no matter its extent. There are always solutions available that can help you reverse the effects of hair loss, regaining your look and your sense of self-confidence. We are proud to provide a wide spectrum of solutions here at HRC Dayton.
Learn More About Hair Loss Treatments for Women
For decades, HRC Dayton has been the area’s leading name in women’s hair loss treatments. Find out what might be causing your hair loss—and what you can do about it—by making an appointment with us today. Contact our Dayton, Ohio office to schedule your free consultation!